Ask almost any citizen of Omaha about the Benson area and their reply will be that “Benson’s Back” not that it’s ever really been gone. But there’s a new vibrancy and energy along Maple Street that is attracting an eclectic clientele—foodies, musicians, lovers of music and people of all ages who enjoy having a good time.
In the late 1887’s Benson Place was established as its own entity northwest of the city of Omaha by Erastus Benson, a land speculator and investor. By 1917 the population had grown to over 5,000 people and was annexed by the city of Omaha. At that time, the town was the site of many well maintained houses of various styles and sizes and had an active main street. It was also home to many churches and progressive schools, which were a terrific addition to the city.
Today, the area is family friendly with homes that are affordable for first time buyers. And with revitalization of the area’s core streets and membership in the Benson Ames Business Alliance, it appears that the future is bright for the Benson area.